Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tuesday Silverton to Mex Hat, UT




Tuesday started out slow... as in slow to go out in the cold.

I rolled the bike to the door of the hotel room and flipped the switch..27 degrees and there was ice on the puddles in the lot. I went back and forth packing the bike and staying warm. Even with the cold we were ready to go at 8am.
Once packed a guy from Minnosota stopped to discuss riding in the cold..he puts over 4k miles on a sled a year and he is the low mileage guy out of his gang. He had just been to North Rim and Moab and was having a hard time finding rooms..I hate when people tell me that..I got zero reservation for the whole trip.

After saying good bye, I hit the start button and the bike turned over but no fire. After a few more nothing but turning over. I then added a little throttle and it started to come to life. Good thing the battery is still in good shape...the bike finally fired and stayed that way until it stalled in the middle of the street.

Leaving on 550 s we were off to Durnago and Utah. The ride down 550 was great, more mountians and 2 more 10K+ foot passes. Coming into Durango we passed a steamer headed for Silverton.

Most of the trip was standard riding in the SW..lots of long straight flat runs...


Our first thing was to get a room. Orginally we were going to Blanding, but I wanted to stay in Mex Hat. I heard from a fellow GS rider of the steaks in this town and wanted to try them..here is the place and the HUNK of meat they server. Thanks Alton.

After the getting a room at Hat Rock Hotel of a staggering 110$, we took off to Monumnet Valley. I wanted to unload some weight but the room was not ready so we gassed up and headed to the land of butte.

Going into the tribal lands cost $5 a head. the guy taking the cash insisted a win is a win even if the steelers looked bad in winning. I finally agreed then he hit me with the eagles really spanked them...

The low down on the area around the mounments is this..tourist and the roads suck! We started in following 4 tour trucks with about 2 dozen people in each. Once we went down the entrance we got rolling but the sand was deep and smooth...we kept going until we hit a patch about 100 yeads long and nearly went down 4-5 times. I got no idea how I saved it but we did. The tracks behind me looked like a rattler snaked its way down the sand...so out we went..and a bit angry. Another area not covered on the bike and I'll be damned before I ride a tour bus. We did get to see a few miles of the area and got some pictures.

After Monumant Valley, we went to Valley of the Gods. Its a 17mile dirt road north of Mexican Hat. The loop winds around many of the same type of buttes, etc like Monumnet Valley...but it free and no one was there. The road has heavy washboards and some stretches of loose silt and gravel but it was fun on the GS. Once I got up on the pegs we whirled through and got a bunch of pictures. Overall a great ride.

Check out the pictures from the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey sounds like a real adventure this year Jenn looks like the kid from the movie christmas story all bundled up ha ha guess who